Friday, May 17, 2013

a day for moms is a day for me



A few years ago, before I became a proud owner of my baby nugget boy, a woman told me that she dreaded Mother's Day each year. She said, "Just you wait. It's a day all about 'ideal' mothers and you'll feel completely inadequate and guilty all day because you'll never measure up."

Well shoot. We're all inadequate when it comes to this wonderful, crazy, difficult, exciting job of being a mother. I don't have the slightest clue what I'm doing, but if there's a day that recognizes me for trying my best then I will eat it up and soak in all the extra loving from husband and children and anyone else who wants to praise me, feed me, and shower me in gifts. Because being a mom is the best hard thing I've ever done and completely worth the feelings of inadequacy.


  
 Jeff made my first official Mother's Day pretty great. He made the most delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs with spinach and enough cheese to make my dad proud plus some jaw-dropping french toast. He gifted me this gem of a book and the ring pictured below on my awkward looking hand. It was weirdly difficult to get a good picture of it.

We also got to visit Jeff's mom and my beloved momma. We owe the world to them. Mom, you're an amazing, selfless woman. I'm lucky to have you. I remember asking my dad when I was little why we don't celebrate a kid's day. He said it's because every day is kid's day, so moms need their own special day. I couldn't agree more.

Oh and we got to skype little brother Collin from across the world in the Philippines. That kid. We're lucky to have him too.

4 comments:

  1. Happy (very) Belated Mother's Day, Mal! Love that ring and that boy of yours is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a beautiful mom and person and have such way with words. Lucky to be your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sweet post! Love the ring.

    ReplyDelete

~ comments ~

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS